What do you call the different fingers in your language? In English we have:
- Index Finger or Pointer Finger
- Middle Finger
- Ring Finger
- Pinky or Little Finger
Japanese fingers are a little different:
- 親指 (oya yubi) – Parent Finger
- 人差し指 (hito sashi yubi) – Person-pointing Finger
- 中指 (naka yubi) – Middle Finger
- 薬指 (kusuri yubi) – Medicine Finger
- 小指 (ko yubi) – Little Finger
According to wikipedia, the finger we know as ring finger was used in the old days in Japan to rub medicine on wounds or dissolve medicine in water. Hence, medicine finger.
Additionally, it is ok in Japanese to call your toes by the same finger names. We don’t do this in English though.
What are the fingers called in your language (or the language you are studying?). And what do they mean? Is it the same as English? Leave a comment and let us know!